Tuesday, November 13, 2012

View on law article


After reading the American Civil Liberties Union article, I definitely feel more confident and comfortable as a photographer. It’s funny to say but when I go out to shoot photos, I’m pretty shy. I think it’s because I’m not as comfortable behind a camera like I am behind a notepad. When reporting, the worst someone can say is “no comment,” and you put that in the story. It’s different when taking photos because if someone doesn’t want to give their information, the photo is not useable (depending on the news value). I feel like it’s more discouraging because you wasted time and effort on nothing. Usually I try to just avoid those people but I do understand that taking photos in public spaces is my constitutional right and I can photograph anything that is in plain view. It's helpful and settling to know that unless police have detained a photographer, they cannot confiscate or delete photographs or videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment